You know what I love more than most things in the world? Disney food. And what comes to nearly the top (and I do mean NEARLY), is Le Cellier’s Beer Cheer Soup. I mean – it has two of my favorite things in the world in it – beer and cheese. I don’t know how you could combine those two things in any setting, and have a bad combination. We got the recipe, and made the soup at home, step by step, so you to can have this soup whenever you want!
What you’ll need:
-An immersion blender.
This is important! Anytime you’re making soup having a handheld blender is so important. We got ours here and use it all the time.
1/4 lb. smoked bacon finely chopped (we used Applewood smoked bacon from Trader Joes!)
1 medium red onion cut into 1/4 in. pieces
1/2 cup finely sliced celery
1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
3 TB all-purpose flour
3 cups whole milk
2 cups chicken stock
12 oz. grated white cheddar
3 dashes Tabasco
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce (we subbed soy sauce)
1/2 cup Moosehead Canadian Ale, room temperature (we subbed Shiner!)
salt and pepper to taste
1 TB thinly sliced chives
1. Cook the bacon in your soup pan until it’s wilted – don’t let it get crispy or brown.
2. Add onions, celery and carrots and cook until the onion is translucent and bacon has crisped.
3. Sprinkle in flour and stir constantly for 2 minutes. Stir in milk and stock, a little at a time, blending with your immersion blender as you do to ensure there are no lumps. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes. (We used this spare time to have a drink – but you can do whatever).
4. Remove from heat and whisk in cheese, Tabasco, Worcestershire and ale. Add salt and pepper until it tastes right. We also added a few extra dashes of tabasco, because we like to live dangerously.
5. Eat until your stomach hurts, preferably with a nice side of pretzel bread from your local store.